Search

Content

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Behind the Scenes: Global Eye

I enjoy projects that challenge me, be it a technical challenge, a mental challenge, or a mixture of the two. It is why I often spend hours in the preproduction phase just working out the idea itself be it for a photograph series, painting, or a time based piece as I did recently for Global Eye.

Originally an assignment for my 4D class, this piece spawned primarily from a dream I had after watching The Square, a documentary about the Tahrir Square protests in Egypt. I wanted to explore the idea of how technology has introduced a near constant stream of ideas via the media for us to view. In one moment we may view a demonstration in London while in another we might be exposed to a protest in Venezuela, and often through the eye level view of a lens that belongs to an individual participating in the experience.

I spent hours upon hours watching countless news feeds with the idea of showing a global view. One of the challenges, besides subjecting myself to the graphic images captured by the videos, was to create a completely objective view of the world. I didn't want this project to become a commentary on any individual event in the world, but rather introduce a scale for how much media there is out there from everywhere and how it is increasingly shared and viewed through television, internet, and radio.

So, taking found news footage from all across the globe from contemporary times, I created the piece Global Eye.

Global Eye from Frances Bukovsky on Vimeo.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something