Search

Content

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Moment: On the Edge of Big Things

Lake Otsego at Dusk

I wanted to start a new little column on this blog about various moments from my personal life. Right now, I'm on the edge of a momentous change in my living style: college. I have to transplant myself from upstate New York to the sunny shores of Sarasota, Florida, which is incredibly exciting, a little frightening, and completely immediate.

I have less than thirty days to pack up what I need for four months of art school to fit into the back of a minivan and into a dorm room.

I've tossed around the idea of how I'm going to do this, however I haven't actually done anything, partly because I only own one suitcase at this particular moment, and because everything I've started to consider bringing are things I use on a day to day basis.

There are things I'm going to miss, certainly, though I should be able to manage for four months without them. My ratties, fish, and cat are among them (though the cat hair won't be missed), as well as my Casio, draft table (though an art school should have those, right? Still, it is my desk), and my vast book collection.

It is all a great adventure, even the preparation, which is probably why I've been drawn to music with themes of adventure. Of course, this is namely The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Tuomas Holopainen, but anything with sweeping orchestral arrangements gets me going nowadays.

So, with a countdown on the clock to go time, I've a big task ahead of me and even bigger things to come.

2 comments:

Something