Search

Content

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Behind the Scenes: Within the Ice

Within the Ice
Gouache on Bristol
10.25" x 9"
The assignment was to depict a season in an abstract way using complementary colors. Having come from the snowy, cold, and dreary winters of upstate New York, it seemed most natural to me to depict that season of winter. 

I actually have some process photos this time to share a little of the process.

Brainstorming words and shapes
Sketch and small color study


First Color Study

Second Color Study

This piece was so far removed from what I was used to doing. I haven't dabbled too much in the abstract world merely because it hadn't called me to it before. After having to do it for my 2-d design class, I am definitely going to pay more attention to abstractions and perhaps bring more of it into my design sense as a whole.

I wanted to explore the feeling of confinement in winter. There is awful cold up in New York in the wintertime, but also some warmth and life. There is always a fire going in the house during the winter, and a struggle to keep warm. Despite it being frozen, water is also there in the winter, bringing movement to the otherwise still season.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something